Friday, December 15, 2006

A Wee Little Roast



Perhap I was being optimistic, put I found after weighing entirty of the crop, that my previous estimation of 50 grams had to be reduced by half. On Wednesday I faced the challenge of roasting the smallest batch (can I call it a batch?) of coffee I have ever tried.

The San Franciscan sample roaster at Counter Culture was in for it. I dug deep into my rusty bag of roasting tricks, tweaking the gas pressure and airflow to a point where I was able to test roast a "batch" or two with another coffee. I managed a bit of temperature control, and when it was said and done, 7 minutes and about 420 degrees later, Finca Nueva Berlin was roasted.

I was a bit nervous at first, but the test roasts proved that the ol' girl was still as capable as ever. Don't get me wrong, I doubt I could hit the production roast parameters at CCC like I used to, but heck, I least I didn't burn my precious cargo.


Cooling time was remarkably quick.








So there you have it. A couple of days for resting and out gassing, and the cupping will commense. Geez, I hope I don't spill it.





No comments: